Monday, September 10

College Life

For the past three days i have been staying at Wittenberg College in Springfield, Ohio. A friend that i met whilst at camp Burton attends this college and so i decided to visit her(she offered of course, i didn't just say 'can i visit?') Her Name is Halley and she is such a great girl. More about Halley will be explained in a later blog devoted to her. Anyway, American college students are crazy! I am staying in the freshmen (first years) dorm and these kids are all experiencing this new part of their life at the same time and the are going mental. To elaborate, There are male, female and co-ed floors all in the one building. This enables the moving from one room to the other with no trouble at all. So, quite a lot of action goes on, if you know what i mean. But also underage drinking is such an issue here. These kids are all 18 pretty much and if you know, the legal drinking age in America is 21. So, everything that goes on is quite illegal. Also this adds the the promiscuity of the students. There is also the problem of drugs. And guess what? Everyone loves it here! I understand that i was just brought up differently and different things make me happy but there is something very wrong with this place. I believe that i am judging now so i will stop, just thought you all might like to know that area of college life first. So i have been moving around staying in different guy-friends of Halley's rooms for the past couple of nights. Which has been cool getting to know people. Today being Monday, Halley had classes and so i was left alone for the better part of the day. I got to hang out in her room and read my bible and watch a movie and sleep. Lots of sleep. For you see, students don't go to bed here until the early hours of the morning. Last night everyone went to bed at about 3am. And had class at 9. Insane. But funny to see them all wake up and say 'i'll never do that again' but then doing it the next night! funny. So yeah, i got to read a lot of bible and i also forced myself to have a soaking prayer session because i hadn't had one in a long time. It was so good. I felt so refreshed and closer to God when i finished. I gave Him my request and more importantly i thanked Him for everything that has happened while i have been over here in America. You should go soak...right now!...wait, read the rest of my blog then go. Cool.

One other thing i think i should add here is that male American teens are HUGE! The boys here are all so big and buff...i feel so little. Ha! Not. Just a bit of a shock.

So i leave here tomorrow for Michigan where i will be visiting Mars Hill Bible Church throughout the week. I believe this is where God has been calling me to go. The pastor at this church is a man named Rob Bell. I have known of him for a few years because he speaks in a DVD series called 'NOOMA'. He has also written a few books which i recommend. I have wanted very much to see him preach and this church he is at is one of the fastest growing churches in American history! So i'm pretty exited about going. I have been trying to find out if there is anything for me to attend during the week before Sunday. There should be but if there's not i will be spending a lot of time wandering around Michigan until Sunday. It'll be good though. I met a man named David through the parents of another friend that i met while on the camp who lives in Michigan. Before i met him i was not going to be going to Michigan because i didn't have the money to stay anywhere. So God introduced me to David and David offered me a place to stay if i ever did choose to go to Michigan. ( by the way, this guy lives about 15 kilometres away from the church. How cool is that!) So i am going. God is good. I will be there for about 5 days then i will be returning back to Seattle by bus(which is really not a cool way to travel!) and hopefully i will get to climb this dormant volcano with a friend and then leave to come home!

So that is what my life has been like. College is insane, trip is coming to an end and God is good.

4 comments:

Kyla said...

Wow, Chris! It sounds like you're having an amazing time and I'm so glad you're learning and experincing so much. I'm incredible jealous that you're going to Mars Hill! Rob Bell is amazing - I love Nooma and I'm in the process of reading 'sex god'. Very good book. Anyway, so happy everything's going well for you. I've been missing you and you've been in my prayers. It'll be good to have you home soon! Enjoy.

Aims said...

College life huh? Unfortunatley the partying is a large part of it. Would it not be like that in Australia? I kind of find that hard to believe. I think I enjoyed those things when I was younger because I was empty and those things temporarily filled me up, but what those kids need is God to fill them up so they will never thirst again.

Anyway, I a little peturbed that you've obviously been on your blog and so you should have read my reply to your comment about leaving early, and yet you haven't answered any of my questions such as why did you end up leaving early (thus missing my party which was fun last night) and when you will be back, and if I can see you again before you leave. Please respond, or I will be forced to become more peturbed and that is just not something I want to be. But none the less I hope your trip is going good and know that not all college kids are like that. There is hope.

Jono said...

Topherface. Your trip is sounding most interesting and full of some amazing experiences. I hope your life when you get back here, to Australia, is not boring in comparisson. Haha, not that Australia is boring. It is the msot exciting country ever +10. Namely because it has such awesome people in it. But I will not mention names.
Wow, you are coming back soon. That is strange. It doesn't seem like all that long since I saw you off at the airport. Yet it seems like your absence has lasted a while, especially since so much has happened in that time. Can't wait to catch up.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.